Monday, February 20, 2012

When i grow up!

I think all of us say when we are little what we wanna be when we grow up. And then change it about ten times along the way. Mine was "when i grow up im going to be a school teacher!" id line all my teddies and dollies up, even made my mum buy me a roll book so i could write fake names in it and i popped the lenses out of my sunglasses and wore them as pretend specs.

Now look at me, im at university studying a bachelor of communications hoping to major in radio. Really has nothing to do with teaching. But at the same time i wanna be a hair and make up stylist, a hairdresser, an actor, a dance teacher, an english teacher, an events co-ordinator.. the list goes on. I thought i was starting in the right place. University. I did my first year and achieved good results, started my second year and after the first semester i decided my head was all over the place and uni wasnt good for me. But now im a week away from going back again and this time i think im finally ready after going out and experiencing some full time work.

Full time work, its safe to say, for sure has its ups and downs. The ups being having more money to play around with, the idea of once your shift is finished you dont have to go home and do more work, meeting different people every day and getting life experience under your belt. The downs being having to get up so early every morning, working weekends and not having the option of not going in like you do with uni.

I dont think leaving uni for a semester made me a failure or anything, i leant alot in that time. Full time work is definately hard stuff and i had some time to figure myself out a little more as cliche as that sounds.

The truth is when i come out of uni with a degree i really dont know where it will go from there. I dont even know if this is really what i wanna do but i had to start somewhere and i think i could be good at radio. When you think about it no one goes into a degree knowing its one hundred percent what they are gunna wanna do for the rest of their lives, they are just finding a starting point in a new chapter. Being at uni makes me feel like im doing something useful with my time which is good i just hope its all worth it in the end.

So if anyone is ever unsure about what they are doing, dont worry your not the only one. I wouldnt have a clue what im really good at so iv just picked something i enjoy and gone for it! :)

Happy studying fellow students. Hope uni goes well for you all this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment