Monday, April 30, 2012

Live in the now.

When we are five we want to be ten, when we are ten we want to be thirteen so we can call ourselves a teenager, when we are thirteen we want to be sixteen so we can have our license, when we are sixteen we want to be eighteen so we can go to town and buy our own alcohol and when we are eighteen we want to be twenty one so we can call ourselves an adult. But now im a couple of months away from that twenty one mark and wowza its come around fast.

I remember when I was thirteen years old, I had a friend who was sixteen. I knew her through family friends of my parents and I always admired her. She was a dancer, just like me, and she seemed so cool purely because she was older. She would tell me about her boyfriends and have a glass of wine with our parents at dinner. I wanted so bad to be that age so I could do those things. What I didn't realise was I had a ten year old watching what I was doing, going out to the mall with friends, starting high school and she was looking up to me in the same way that I looked up to the sixteen year old. I guess my point is as girls we spend a large chunk of our childhood wishing we were older so we were able to do the things that others can.

Well here's a piece of advice for all the youngens out there: Drinking is only great until the next morning, Its actually way better getting parents to drive you everywhere so you dont have to pay for gas, boys are still just as confusing at twenty one as they are at sixteen, being able to wear what you want without your parents saying "Go and cover up your legs (or in my case tits)" isn't that great cause as you get older you just complain more about what you cant wear cause of ya body type, Uni and full time work is hard stuff, high school is bloody awesome. And for all the older ones reading this I know im "still young", just saying iv realised wanting to be older when I was younger is kinda ironic because now id love for just one more day in kindergarten.

I had the coolest times when I was young and every year that I was a teenager something great happened, whether it was my first kiss, my first heart break, the first time I drove by myself or experiencing great anxiety when handing over a fake I.D. Take in being a teenager and dont try and be older than ya are cause in a blink of an eye you'll be in university or working full time and instead of worrying about what your gunna wear to mufti day at school you'll be worrying about when study link is gunna pay ya!





No comments:

Post a Comment